[mod_python] Why are you using mod_python?

Peter Bowen pzb at datastacks.com
Sun Apr 6 18:15:02 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 00:14, Frank S. Fejes III wrote:
> On a somewhat tangential note, I think mod_python documentation reflects
> strangely on what target audience might be interested in the module.  Almost
> all introductions I've seen to mod_python begin with a tutorial on creating
> a handler.  I'd venture a guess that writing handlers is what fewer than 1%
> of web developers want to do with an apache module initially.  In my
> experience, most people want to write some code and have it run faster than
> it would run under straight CGI...they don't want to write custom handlers.

I would have to disagree.  We were using PHP 4.x, but it doesn't have
support for all the hooks that apache offers.  We use the trans, authen,
authz, and content handlers for our projects.  We don't use the FastCGI
or publisher handlers at all.

Additionally mod_python offered us an opportunity to use python, which
we find offers faster development with less work and less bugs.  Python
is a very well designed language.  We were stretching the bounds of PHP
and perl, while being flexible, is too much of a write-only language.

Thanks.
Peter