[mod_python] multithreading support

Jack Diederich jack_diederich at email.com
Fri Sep 20 22:41:08 EST 2002

Re: Threads & mod_python

Grisha can give the final +1/-1 ...

I've read through the mod_python source, and the python embedding HOWTO here http://www.python.org/doc/current/api/threads.html
and in my opinion mod_python will only not work with threads if there is a bug in mod_python interpreter locking, which I doubt is the case because there's really only two places where we call the interpreter (to get the python callback, and to make the callback) and the code would shit the bed if it wasn't 100% right in the first place.

I run mod_python without threads because I use it in a production environment, so I want to be safe. I don't require threads for the app, so I don't lose anything.

My only minor /but/ is that the python documentation defines a couple of the functions mod_python calls as unavailable functions if python is compiled without threads. (from the link above, read PyEval_AcquireThread).  I think this is documentation dissonace, but just maybe it means that a macro does nothing when it should be doing something.  Bizzarly enough, maybe that means that compiling _without_ threads is the wrong thing to do!

-jackdied