[mod_python] How can I have sensible URLs?

Peter Bittner peter.bittner at gmx.net
Wed Sep 4 11:03:01 EST 2002

Hi Grisha,

> Basically, the publisher doesn't have a "default" method name. (There is
> no particular reason for this, it just didn't occur to me at the time of
> writing.)

Wouldn't it be a nice idea to provide such a default method name? ("main"
seems a good name for that task.)

I am very keen on organizing my web projects nicely, so I usually structure
the application using separate file for separate tasks.

I also like to obey a couple of web-design paradigmas such as "let your URLs
be hackable", which says nothing less than when the user modifies the URL
there shouldn't be an "unexpected behaviour" as a result. I do get a little of
a headache when I think of users removing the "/dothis" from a
"http://www.mydomain.com/myscript/dothis" and then getting a "404 Not Found".  :-(

I have the feeling that this is really a point that presents a huge
understanding problem to novices, to mod_python beginners, (even if they are
perfectly familiar to Python).
Python scripts begin a the start of the file, everything is processed
sequentially. Why not having a default starting point for mod_python scripts?

Grisha, what was/is your motivation to omit the ".py" in the URL at the end
of the script's filename? - Don't get me wrong, I do see the beauty in this
solution (since the ".py" hits the eye), but isn't this arguably? Wouldn't a
CGI-style processing ("..../myscript.cgi?opt1=abc") be more straight forward?

I would be really happy seeing mod_python to be that easy to understand and
easy to use (to write applications) that it might be a real alternative to
PHP, JSP and ASP, and still (with Python a its base) being a language where
beautiful and well structured code emerges from.

> There is probably more than one way to accomplish something to that
> extent, one way would be to try a redirect, something like:
>
> Redirect /index.py http://www.mydomain.com/index.py/index

Apache's module mod_rewrite might be some kind of workaround to this. But is
this really satisfying? How do other programmers feel about this?

Cheers, Peter

http://www.gmx.net