[mod_python] Web Hosts that support mod_python?

Michael Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Sat Oct 26 14:42:44 EST 2002

Jack,

	I think that's it's all of the above.  First would be a lack of
popularity.  Going to apache's website it hard to find any info on
python under apace at all (hopefully this will change soon).  Next, you
do need a python skilled tech guy to admin and understand the mod_python
issues, and I'm guessing he's hard to find right now compared to perl or
php.

	I'm also not sure of those ISP's that offer mod_perl, how many
of them go beyond just using it for "fast CGI".  Allowing someone access
to embed an apache module in any language is a risky option.  Also, to
setup such a module you would need conf file access, and I'm sure most
ISP's don't like that idea either.

	Now the conf file issues may have resolution, but I'm not sure
how feasible it is to do, so I throw this out for feedback.  What it the
module "registered" itself for the hooks it wanted to use?  This way
there would be no need to change a conf file once setup.  Having the
feature in the conf file to restrict which hooks a module could register
for as well might be nice.  Lastly, having a way to call the module in a
url dynamically would help, so that no setup was needed in a conf file
to say where the module was, i.e. /python-bin/myhandler.py would use
myhandler.py as the module which registered hooks on it own, but
/python-bin/other.py would be a completely different handler all on it
own and neither one mentioned in the conf file; just some type of
"<Directory>" config to say that /python-bin was a handler directory and
that those handlers could register for any of the following hooks.

	I don't know of anything that works like the above, so this
would be very new to the apache world.  I'd like to think it would help
in getting more ISP's to support mod_python, but that's just a guess.
Either way, I'd like to know what others think.

Mike
--
Michael C. Neel
Director of Software Development