[mod_python] mod_python and OpenBSD

Laurence Tratt laurie at tratt.net
Sun Nov 10 17:51:00 EST 2002

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to build mod_python-3.0.0-BETA4 under OpenBSD? I'm
running OpenBSD 3.2-current, have got Apache 2.0.43 but haven't actually
managed to build mp yet, and would be very interested to hear if anyone's
got this combination to play ball yet.

The problem I have is that mod_python.so itself isn't ever getting built.
Virtually every other filename extension after "mod_python." exists, but not
"so": the most likely culprit is libtool, a favoured target of bile in the
OpenBSD community, but I'm no expert on it (nor on the particular variant
that Apache ships in build/). The eventual result of not building the lib is
a dangling sym link from src/ to lib/ just to make things fun! If anybody's
interested in having a look at this, I can hook them up with an account on
an OpenBSD machine.

Whilst I'm here, I might as well tell you guys what I actually want mp to
do. If it's a Really Bad Idea, please feel free to tell me :) Essentially, I
want to have a filter which takes pages in a sort-of psuedo HTML format, and
then munges them into a full page before sending them on. I've prototyped it
in Apache 1.3 as a handler/cgi-script thing, and it works fine except that
you're limited by the fact that you can't post-process data from other
sources (eg I will probably need to munge PHP output too). So filters in
Apache 2.0 look like the way to go, and obviously I want it to run
efficiently hence my interest in mod_python. From what I can tell, at the
moment mp's filter support can't handle fiddling with HTTP headers which I
will need to do (my filter also having to deal with setting cookies), but
I'm unclear as to whether that's a fundamental problem, or whether it just
hasn't been coded up yet.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Laurie