[mod_python] Redirection with the Location Header and publisher handler

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Thu Jan 10 17:59:45 EST 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> 1) There's a status attribute? =) I think this should be added to the
> documentation.

Yes, somehow it slipped in the documentation, but the FAQ entry regarding
redirection shows it.

> 2) I have scoured the 'net for a good explanation of the HTTP error codes, to
> no avail.

Check out RFC2616 http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.txt

I don't know what the difference between 302 and 307 is. If you look at
the (older) RFC2068, 302 used to be called "moved temporarily", and with
RFC2616 it became "found"  and a new code 307 "temporary redirect" was
introduced which seems to be functionally equivalent to 302 (the text is
word for word the same).

Here is a link I found that talks about this stuff
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/post-redirect.html

For all practical purposes I would use 302 - I suspect 307 is not
supported on many older browsers.

Grisha