[mod_python] Promoting Python as web application development language

Fabian Fagerholm fabbe at paniq.net
Tue Aug 27 17:41:08 EST 2002

As the initiator of the original discussion, I'd like to jump in with a
little comment right now before this heads off in a random direction.

I've been discussing these matters with David Welton of the Apache Tcl
Project (who has kindly agreed to assist me in this effort) and it seems
the mod_python community is lacking some vital understanding of exactly
what the Apache Software Foundation is.

Please read carefully:

> * Greg Stein <gstein at lyra.org> [020827 03:54]:
> > To become an ASF project, the owners/committers of the code would need to
> > agree to donate the codebase to the ASF and be willing to maintain it within
> > our framework (along with other ASF committers and members who are also
> > interested). Ideally, the community that comes with it would also follow
> > some of the philosophy of the ASF in terms of being a friendly community,
> > open source code, etc.

The mod_python software is written by Gregory Trubetskoy and a number of
contributors [0]. It already has a working infrastructure with a web
site, cvs (via sourceforge), and a mailing list.

ASF projects seem to have the general requirement that the copyright of
the software is to be assigned to the ASF.

This is not a decision that can be made by consensus on this mailing
list. It is the decision of the current copyright owner(s).

Gregory Trubetskoy has already expressed that he doesn't view the lack
of python.apache.org to be a problem [1] and that he doesn't have time
to spend on this effort [2] at the moment.

In order for anything to happen, Gregory must either be interested in
making mod_python an ASF project, or the mod_python community must come
up with an alternative arrangement with the ASF (such as a "Sister
Projects" link or whatever the ASF prefers).

In the former case, I'm sure communication can proceed directly between
Gregory and the ASF now that a contact has been established. I'll be
happy to share all information that I have gathered so far.

I invite everyone to continue this discussion with these facts in mind.
I also invite anyone to endorse the Python Special Interest Group
Proposal [3] that was sent to the Python Meta-SIG mailing list.

Regards,
Fabian Fagerholm

[0] http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-2.7.8/CREDITS

[1] http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2002-August/002364.html