[mod_python] mod_python link on Apache web page?

vmilitaru at sympatico.ca vmilitaru at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 23 06:08:09 EST 2002

My reaction: all mod_python actually needs from the apache bunch is more
'exposure', and somehow their official blessing and recognition, which is
what 'python.apache.org' or some other pointer from the 'official'
apache site gives you.
I'm not saying you should not ask them politely for their reaction to this
request, rather something like:

"Greetings,
I'm from mod_python. We have this great apache module, but sadly we don't see
a pointer on the apache site towards our module. Since it is so similar to
other great apache modules like mod_perl and mod_php, what would it take to
have a pointer to the mod_python site on the official apache site, alongsite
mod_perl and such ? Something like 'python.apache.org' redirecting to
'www.modpython.org' sounds quite appealing to us. Any feedback on this topic
would be appreciated.
Regards,
xxx"

Simple, direct, cutting the bull to a minimum. If that's feasible, or not,
you'll know, and why, and won't waste your time further if it's a no no.
You don't need all this consulting the greater Python community for some link
on a web page.
Too much politics. My little experience in 'managing an
open source project through consensus' has not been that great so far (too much
talk, too few results: each has a different opinion, so everybody
discusses ad noseam on the best way to cut the cheese). Grisha developped
mod_python on his own, and though I may be mistaken, I don't recall him
talking about doing much consulting previous to starting that project.

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the 'Apache Software Foundation' people is aware
of mod_python's existence, and won't confuse python to its reptilian cousin
(nor the famous british comedy group). These are pretty bright people.

My opinion (again). In case nobody else has one on this specific political
topic, or don't agree with you, just do it anyway, and share your results
with the list. What's the worst that can happen? Yo'll get flamed ?

You only live once :-)
Vio

* Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe at paniq.net> [020823 05:10]: