[mod_python] mod_python link on Apache web page?

Fabian Fagerholm fabbe at paniq.net
Fri Aug 23 10:10:32 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 18:26, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> As far as I understand, the *.apache.org domains are for projects
> sponsored by Apache Software Foundation, and mod_perl happens to be one of
> them. Since mod_python isn't sponsored by the Apache Software Foundation,
> I don't really see it a problem that there isn't an *.apache.org site.

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think PHP is "sponsored" by the ASF. I
think the "projects" listed on www.apache.org are highly different in
their level of integration with the ASF. For example, PHP is largely a
separate project while mod_perl seems to be more integrated.

On the Apache Projects page
(http://www.apache.org/foundation/projects.html), I found the following:

    "The Apache Software Foundation is always looking for new or
    existing collaborative software development projects that are in
    need of a home. This includes both projects related and unrelated to
    the existing ASF projects."

mod_python does have the infrastructure in place - there's a web page
and a mailing list - so there is no need for that kind of collaboration.
But I do think the project could benefit from more exposure, and that
Apache could benefit from having closer ties with Python. You say:

> As far as the general exposure - we could use a little more of it, but so
> could Python in genral I think.

Could this be an opportunity to adress the issue?

Or to put it another way: Why should there *not* be a python.apache.org?

Cheers,
Fabian