[mod_python] mod_python 3 beta

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy grisha at modpython.org
Thu Aug 22 17:35:07 EST 2002

You can grab the latest CVS snapshot at
http://www.modpython.org/dist/dev/mod_python-3.0.0-BETA.tgz

First off a warning: this is NOT production quality software, use at your
own risk!

A few notes:

1. It requires Python 2.2.1. Earlier versions of Python will not work
(though 2.2 might). The reason is that some of the objects (table and
request) are now the new Python classes as described here:
http://www.python.org/2.2.1/descrintro.html

2. It requires Apache 2.0.40, earlier versions won't compile.

3. There is no static compilation support, only DSO.

4. I've only tested it on RedHat Linux 7.3. I don't even know if it will
compile on other platforms.

5. Python*Handler directives can now take an additional argument - "|"
followed by a list of extensions. This will limit execution of the handler
to those extensions, e.g.:

PythonHandler myhandler | .pyhtml

6. There is now support for filters via PythonInputFilter and
PythonOutputFilter directives. This is kind of new and raw, so YMMV.

7. The documentation has been updated to reflect new features and changes,
though filter docs are still kind of skimpy.

There is more changes, but I can't remember them now....

Please give it a spin and send feedback to me or to the list.

Grisha