[mod_python] Mod_python & apache on Solaris 8 compile problems

Chris Meyer cmeyer at carleton.edu
Mon Apr 22 11:34:26 EST 2002

Greetings all,

I've been trying to build mod_python 2.7.5 into apache 1.3.23 on a
Solaris 8 system for several days now, and whenever I issue "make" to
apache after a "./configure
--activate-module=src/modules/python/libpython.a" I keep on getting the
same compile errors:

.
.
.
<=== src/modules
gcc -c  -I./os/unix -I./include   -DSOLARIS2=280 -DUSE_EXPAT
-I./lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED `./apaci` modules.c
gcc -c  -I./os/unix -I./include   -DSOLARIS2=280 -DUSE_EXPAT
-I./lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED `./apaci` buildmark.c
gcc  -DSOLARIS2=280 -DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite -DNO_DL_NEEDED
`./apaci`    \
       -o httpd buildmark.o modules.o  modules/python/libpython.a
modules/standard/libstandard.a  main/libmain.a  ./os/unix/libos.a
ap/libap.a  lib/expat-lite\
libexpat.a  -lsocket -lnsl
PySequence_Index                    modules/python/libpython.a(mod_python.o)
Py_InitModule4
modules/python/libpython.a(_apachemodule.o)
PyString_FromStringAndSize
modules/python/libpython.a(_apachemodule.o)
PyExc_TypeError
modules/python/libpython.a(tableobject.o)
.
.   about fifty or so undefined symbols later
.
Py_Initialize                       modules/python/libpython.a(mod_python.o)
PyErr_SetObject
modules/python/libpython.a(requestobject.o)
PyString_Type
modules/python/libpython.a(tableobject.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to httpd
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `target_static'
Current working directory /home/root/apache_1.3.23/src
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `build-std'
Current working directory /home/root/apache_1.3.23
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `build'
#

Is there anybody who's encountered this before, or can tell me what a
fix might be? On a slightly related note, I got something similar when I
tried compiling mod_perl (1.26) as well (without mod_python), but only
when I issued the command manually from the apache directory--when I
told the mod_perl configure script to build httpd for me, it went just
fine. That says to me that it might be something with the way I have my
system (a 64-bit Netra X1) set up, but I'll be darned if I can find out
what's misconfigured.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

	-Chris Meyer