[mod_python] security question

allen at modwest.com allen at modwest.com
Wed Nov 7 12:56:12 EST 2001

Thanks for your answer. It's what I needed to know.

I looked at the MPM stuff in Apache 2.0 and it looks like you need to
specify "AssignUserId" in a <VirtualHost> container of the httpd.conf
file. That sort of defeats the purpose of mod_vhost_alias which let you
make a directory and be on your way with a new virtual host.

Since Apache 2.0 will be capable of changing the UID of the child
process anyway, it would have been great if they could just make the
child process the same UID as the file that was about to be served.

That would fix mod_php and mod_python so that user's scripts can only do
what that user can do. No need to change httpd.conf and restart apache
every time you get a new user.

Allen