[mod_python] SuSE 7.1 RPM mod_python & apache

Linscombe, Jason LinscombeJ at cmalliance.org
Thu May 24 09:02:11 EST 2001

Hi List,

I'm trying to run mod_python over apache and could use some help setting
this up.  Here is my setup...

Apache-1.3.14-6
Python-2.0-6
mod_python-2.7.1-3
Distro: SuSE 7.1 Installed the above with RPM

Here is the python stuff in my httpd.conf
<IfDefine PYTHON>
LoadModule python_module	/usr/lib/apache/mod_python.so
</IfDefine>

<IfDefine PYTHON>
AddModule mod_python.c
</IfDefine>

<Directory /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/test>
  AddHandler python-program .py
  PythonHandler mptest
  PythonDebug On
</Directory>

And I have this in a file called /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/test/mptest.py
from mod_python import apache

def handler(req):
    req.send_http_header()
    req.write("Hello World!")
    return apache.OK

I have checked all file permissions and everything seems to be OK.  All of
the above was either default in my httpd.conf or what I found in the
"Testing" page on the documentation.  The problem I'm having is with the
above, I try to start apache and I get the following error:

FAILED:  See /var/log/httpd/rcapache.log for details

here is the rcapache.log file...
Syntax error on line 1634 of /etc/httpd/httpd.conf
Invalid command 'PythonHandler', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module
not included in the server configuration.

Question:  is this mptest.py file necessary for running python scripts over
the web server or is this simply a test?  Being a python newbie, I don't
really know what to do next.  Thanks in advance for any help!

jason