[mod_python] mod_python publisher module doesn't work (404 error); AttributeError: module ...contains no handler

WRFan PhoenixWR at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 8 04:50:24 EST 2001

Hi,

I installed mod_python 2.7.4 (Python 2.1.1) on my Apache server 1.3.20 and windows 98. However, I can't use the mod_python publisher module
( PythonHandler mod_python.publisher ).
If I insert this into a htaccess file or into the Apache config file and execute the usual "Hello world" testing script, I get a 404 error (page not found). I opened the publisher.py file and it seems that if there is a problem, this module makes Apache display an error page. I just don't understand what the problem is. When I use the name of the file as the handler, e.g. for a file test.py:

PythonHandler test

the script is executed all right, I see the "Hello World message". Do you know what the problem might be with PythonHandler mod_python.publisher ?

I added this to my httpd.conf file:

AddHandler python-program .py

and this I put into a htaccess file:

AddHandler python-program .py

AddHandler python-program .pyc

AddHandler python-program .python

SetHandler python-program

PythonHandler test

#PythonHandler mod_python.publisher

PythonDebug on

Also if I try to use some python scripts downloaded from the net through Apache, I get this error:

Mod_python error: "PythonHandler Index"

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "C:\Programme\Server\Python\Lib\mod_python\apache.py", line 185, in Dispatch
    object = resolve_object(req, module, object_str, silent)

  File "C:\Programme\Server\Python\Lib\mod_python\apache.py", line 395, in resolve_object
    raise AttributeError, s

AttributeError: module 'c:/programme/server/apache/public/python/ransacker/\Index.pyc' contains no 'handler'

It's always this error. Does that mean that python scripts can't be executed through mod_python, but have to be re-written for the Apache module?
Please email me at PhoenixWR at hotmail.com.
Thank you,
Regards,
Gerhart.