[mod_python] Apache 1.3.12 + mod_python + ??? = segfault

Brian Mueller bmueller at creotech.com
Tue Oct 3 03:18:07 EST 2000

Hello,

Recently I installed mod_python on my Apache 1.3.12 setup:

- -----

[root at shiva speedy]# httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_so.c
suexec: enabled; valid wrapper /usr/sbin/suexec
[root at shiva speedy]# httpd -v
Server version: Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.12
(NetRevolution/Linux-Mandrake)
Server build: May 8 2000 04:59:44
Performance Tuned by SGI http://www.sgi.com/

- -----

Once I installed it I placed the LoadModule and AddModule at the top of
their respective sections within the httpd.conf file.  I reloaded apache
and checked the error log and the output was as follows:

[Sun Oct  1 04:02:02 2000] [notice] Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.12
(NetRevolution/Linux-Mandrake) mod_ssl/2.6.4 OpenSSL/0.9.5a mod_perl/1.22
mod_python/2.4.1 Python/1.5.2 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Sun Oct  1 04:02:02 2000] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper:
/usr/sbin/suexec)

- -----

all was well, then I installed the following items.

CURL
PSPELL
mhash 0.8.2
mcrypt 2.5.4
libmcrypt 2.4.4
mcal
php4 4.0.2 (with the above supported + mySQL and PostrgreSQL support)

Once I did this I added the php4 stuff to the httpd.conf file and attempted
to restart.  Nothing happened, httpd -X shows a segmentation fault (core
dumped).  I removed php4 from my httpd.conf file and tried again with the
same results.  I readded php4 to my httpd.conf file and commented out the
mod_python references and now it works, though without mod_python.

I am hoping that someone can shed some light on this as it appears that
something I installed above has caused mod_python to cease working.  Here
is my most recent error_log entry from after I removed mod_python

- -----

[Tue Oct  3 02:36:38 2000] [notice] Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/1.3.12
(NetRevolution/Linux-Mandrake) mod_ssl/2.6.4 OpenSSL/0.9.5a mod_perl/1.22
PHP/4.0.2 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Tue Oct  3 02:36:38 2000] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper:
/usr/sbin/suexec)

- -----

and here is relavent sections from my httpd.conf file.

- -----

##
## httpd.conf -- Apache HTTP server configuration file
##
# This is the main server configuration file. See URL
http://www.apache.org/
# for instructions.
# Do NOT simply read the instructions in here without understanding
# what they do, if you are unsure consult the online docs. You have been
# warned.
# Originally by Rob McCool
#---------------------- Use *ONLY* httpd.conf ---------------------------
#
# With all new apache versions, use of access.conf and srm.conf are
# deprecated. We only use httpd.conf.
#
# These 2 directives are needed by some modules, for example FrontPage

#ResourceConfig /dev/null
#AccessConfig /dev/null

#---------------- Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) Support ---------------------
#
# To be able to use the functionality of a module which was built as a DSO
you
# have to place corresponding `LoadModule' lines at this location so the
# directives contained in it are actually available _before_ they are used.
# Please read the file README.DSO in the Apache 1.3 distribution for more
# details about the DSO mechanism and run `httpd -l' for the list of
already
# built-in (statically linked and thus always available) modules in your
httpd
# binary.
#
# Example:
# LoadModule foo_module libexec/mod_foo.so
#
# Documentation for modules is in "/home/httpd/manual/mod" in HTML format.

#LoadModule mmap_static_module modules/mod_mmap_static.so
#LoadModule python_module        modules/mod_python.so
LoadModule env_module         modules/mod_env.so
LoadModule config_log_module  modules/mod_log_config.so
LoadModule agent_log_module   modules/mod_log_agent.so
LoadModule referer_log_module modules/mod_log_referer.so
#LoadModule mime_magic_module  modules/mod_mime_magic.so
LoadModule mime_module        modules/mod_mime.so
LoadModule negotiation_module modules/mod_negotiation.so
LoadModule status_module      modules/mod_status.so
LoadModule info_module        modules/mod_info.so

### You have the choice between mod_include and mod_include_xssi
### Choose only one! mod_include is more secure, while
### the xssi module has a lot more features
LoadModule includes_module    modules/mod_include.so
#LoadModule includes_module    modules/mod_include_xssi.so

LoadModule autoindex_module   modules/mod_autoindex.so
LoadModule dir_module         modules/mod_dir.so
LoadModule cgi_module         modules/mod_cgi.so
LoadModule asis_module        modules/mod_asis.so
LoadModule imap_module        modules/mod_imap.so
LoadModule action_module      modules/mod_actions.so
#LoadModule speling_module     modules/mod_speling.so
LoadModule userdir_module     modules/mod_userdir.so
LoadModule proxy_module       modules/libproxy.so
LoadModule alias_module       modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule rewrite_module     modules/mod_rewrite.so
LoadModule access_module      modules/mod_access.so
LoadModule auth_module        modules/mod_auth.so
LoadModule anon_auth_module   modules/mod_auth_anon.so
#LoadModule dbm_auth_module    modules/mod_auth_dbm.so
#LoadModule db_auth_module     modules/mod_auth_db.so
LoadModule digest_module      modules/mod_digest.so
#LoadModule cern_meta_module   modules/mod_cern_meta.so
LoadModule expires_module     modules/mod_expires.so
LoadModule headers_module     modules/mod_headers.so
LoadModule usertrack_module   modules/mod_usertrack.so
#LoadModule example_module     modules/mod_example.so
#LoadModule unique_id_module   modules/mod_unique_id.so
LoadModule setenvif_module    modules/mod_setenvif.so

#  Reconstruction of the complete module list from all available modules
#  (static and shared ones) to achieve correct module execution order.
#  [WHENEVER YOU CHANGE THE LOADMODULE SECTION ABOVE UPDATE THIS, TOO]
ClearModuleList
#AddModule mod_mmap_static.c
#AddModule mod_python.c
AddModule mod_env.c
AddModule mod_log_config.c
AddModule mod_log_agent.c
AddModule mod_log_referer.c
#AddModule mod_mime_magic.c
AddModule mod_mime.c
AddModule mod_negotiation.c
AddModule mod_status.c
AddModule mod_info.c
AddModule mod_include.c
#AdModule mod_include_xssi.c
AddModule mod_autoindex.c
AddModule mod_dir.c
AddModule mod_cgi.c
AddModule mod_asis.c
AddModule mod_imap.c
AddModule mod_actions.c
#AddModule mod_speling.c
AddModule mod_userdir.c
AddModule mod_proxy.c
AddModule mod_alias.c
AddModule mod_rewrite.c
AddModule mod_access.c
AddModule mod_auth.c
AddModule mod_auth_anon.c
#AddModule mod_auth_dbm.c
#AddModule mod_auth_db.c
AddModule mod_digest.c
#AddModule mod_cern_meta.c
AddModule mod_expires.c
AddModule mod_headers.c
AddModule mod_usertrack.c
#AddModule mod_example.c
#AddModule mod_unique_id.c
AddModule mod_so.c
AddModule mod_setenvif.c

####################################
# Add-on Modules and Virtual Hosts #
####################################
#
# Each time we install an add-on module , the post-install script of the
RPM
# adds an "Include" line to read the configuration for that module. When we
# remove the module, we keep the Include line, but we zero out the config
# file so Apache doesn't complain.
#
# We also put virtual hosts "Includes" in this section. This will be used
by
# administration scripts. Instead of parsing all httpd.conf to modify a
# vhost, we just include the config file. Each type of vhosting has its own
# config file.
#

Include conf/vhosts/Vhosts.conf

Include conf/addon-modules/mod_php4.conf
Include conf/addon-modules/mod_perl.conf
Include conf/ssl/mod_ssl.conf
Include conf/ssl/ssl.default-vhost.conf

- -----

This is in it's currently usable format with mod_python commented out.

Any help would be most appreciated as we had expected to have this new
server online by the end of October.

Thank you,

Brian Mueller

Brian R. Mueller          President and CEO
  CreoTech                "We are the future"

WEB: www.creotech.com     EMAIL: bmueller at creotech.com
PHONE: 513.722.8645       TOLL FREE: 800-972-5290
MOBILE: 513.258.9614      FAX: 419.735.7405
ICQ: 63821393             ICQ Pager: 63821393 at pager.icq.com
WIRELESS WEB PAGING: 5132589614 at messaging.sprintpcs.com

PGP Key available at http://www.creotech.com/pgp/bmueller.asc
fingerprint:
9AEE DE48 5D4A 1814 996A
5EAA 315B FF76 30CC 159B
ID: 0xF19B87E8

Network Development & Design,
Custom Programming for the desktop and the web
Traditional Print Media, CD-ROM Prototyping - more