[mod_python] mod_python compiles fine, but gives errors...

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at firetail.org
Thu Dec 7 15:15:31 EST 2000

Did a few things to check out the permissions possibility.  I su'd to root
and then su -'d to nobody.  I can access all the Python directories just
fine that way... Also, just to be sure, I changed the user that apache
runs at to one that I know has access to the Python directories (in this
case, myself).  However, the same problem occurs (same output in error_log
as well).

I have noticed some strange things, however.  When logged in in my normal
user account, if I fire up python and try to do a

import mod_python.apache

I get this:
>>> import mod_python.apache
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line
19, in ?
    import _apache
ImportError: No module named _apache

While I see an apache.pyc along with a few other files, there is certainly
no _apache module file.  I notice that in the src tarball for mod_python
there is a file _apachemodule.c and _apachemodule.o.  Is this what python
needs to be loading?

Anyways, hoping to get this figured out.  Thanks for any help. :)

Ray Van Dolson