[mod_python] memory consumption increase on httpd reload

Nathan Adams adamsna at datanethost.net
Thu Sep 11 00:03:50 UTC 2014

Aman,

Many years ago when we were using mod_python we noticed a similar issue.
At the time our solution was to move to mod_wsgi. However, now that
Grisha is maintaining the project again you might want to compile from
source because the maintainers may have assumed that mod_python was
permanently gone. It's actually very easy on CentOS as all the prereqs
can be downloaded using yum.

If you do this and mod_python is still an issue then sending over some
sample code to reproduce the problem might help. I have also heard of
some issues if you have both mod_python and mod_wsgi in the same Apache
instance (
https://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/InstallationIssues#Using_ModPython_and_ModWsgi
). If you are curious you could check out similar products like mod_wsgi
(wouldn't recommend as it's configuration is non-intuitive and it's
author can be quite intimidating), uWSGI, or even gunicorn and see if
your memory increase problem exists with those products. I've personally
only had to interact with mod_wsgi and while the product itself isn't
buggy and works great the configuration can be a pain and it doesn't
help that the documentation is lacking.