[mod_python] Publisher handler and authentication handler questions

Kory Hamzeh kory at avatar.com
Wed Jul 27 17:37:29 EDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

I am rather new to mod_python (and python in general). I have a basic
handler running using the publisher handler and I'm doing authentication
using the PythonAuthenHandler handler (not the __auth__ method). I have the
following questions:

1. The authentication is working exactly as described. There are cases where
I want to basically un-authenticate the user without having the user have to
exit and restart the browser. Essentially doing a "logout". Is there any way
to do this? I'm using the authentication as a lazy man's way of doing user
login management without having to worry about SSL, etc.

2. I'm trying to understand how form data/values are passed to the handler
when the client does a POST. The docs seem to say conflicting thing. This
page:

http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/hand-pub-alg-args.html

says the form data is passed as arguments to the handler. This seems to work
and every example code I've seen uses this method. But this page:

	http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/node103.html

states that form data/values are passed in as an instance for the
FieldStorage class in a variable called 'form' in the request object. I have
never seen an instance of this object or any variable named 'form' in the
request structure. What am I misunderstanding?

3. Regarding question #2, if I wanted to created an instance for the
FieldStorage class to get the form data, what is the correct syntax for the
code? I keep getting syntax errors. As I mentioned earlier, I don't have too
much experience with python, specially using classes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kory