[mod_python] Intermittent Page Load Problem with mod_python

Newman, Courtney D. cnewman at nngov.com
Mon Jan 24 09:51:50 EST 2011

Hi,

I've inherited a server running a mod_python application written circa 2004-2005.  It is used as part of another application that we plan on retiring in the not too distant future.  The server is running Debian 3.1 which has been out of support for some time now.  I've been attempting to migrate the system to CentOS 5.5 so that I can receive regular OS security updates.  Also we are trying to standardize on 64-bit Linux and the old Debian system is 32-bit.

The mod_python application is having intermittent page load problems on the new server.  Most of the time it loads fine, but occasionally a blank screen is returned, usually at very inopportune times (e.g. after someone has entered login information, now they have to enter it a second time).  When I say the screen is blank, I mean absolutely no HTML is returned.  The Apache access log shows a 200 is returned.  There is nothing in the Apache error log.

CentOS comes with mod_python 3.2.8 (I think) pre-built.  I've updated it the final mod_python release on this system.  I've spent hours on Google looking for results.  I found one post on stack overflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1508406/mod-python-produces-no-output) which suggests a problem with mod_python.cgi, but I've not been able to confirm this is the problem.  None of my configuration files for Apache appear to do anything with CGI.  I've also searched this mailing list via Google.  It's possible that this has been answered by someone on this list, but I have not been able to find it.

My Apache configuration for mod_python is pretty plain.  I'm posting it below:

<Directory "/var/www/html/psp/">
DirectoryIndex login.psp
AddHandler mod_python .psp
PythonHandler mod_python.psp
PythonPath "['/var/www/html/psp/common/modules'] + sys.path"
PythonDebug On
</Directory>

I'm not sure what other information would be helpful.  I'd really prefer not to have to re-write this application especially if there is an easy fix for this.

Thanks,

Courtney