[mod_python] The mod_python project soon to be officially dead.

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Thu May 27 20:07:30 EDT 2010

On 28 May 2010 09:53, Jason Caldwell <jscnet99 at me.com> wrote:
> Hi Graham --
> I would like to see mod_python continue on.  Supporting Py3.

Well, find like minded people and take on development and support of
mod_python yourself. That is going to be the only solution.

Knowing all the problems with how to deal with all the Unicode/bytes
issues in Python 3.X it is going even be a major task working out what
the interfaces should look like and where bytes versus Unicode should
be used. The argument about this for WSGI has been going on for almost
2 years now I think and still now final resolution and WSGI is a lot
smaller interface than mod_python.

Also, there are a significant number of bugs in mod_python and
seriously they would need to be addressed before even trying to go to
Python 3.X. All up it is going to need some serious commitment and
right now there is no one who who has said they are prepared to do
that.

> I find the frameworks annoying and really love the simplicity and lightness of mod_python.

Did you look at Werkzeug and Flask as I mentioned in the blog. These
are not heavy weight frameworks. Flask is specifically what is called
a micro framework. Even if you didn't like Flask, it wouldn't take
much effort to use Werkzeug to create an alternate micro framework
that has usage pattern not too dissimilar to mod_python publisher. But
one has to question whether that is a good idea either given the
various design issues in publisher around multiple URLs being able to
be used to map to a single resource and the problems that causes. Do
you preserve these bad design issues or fix them?

Graham