[mod_python] mod_python import failure on FreeBSD AMD64

Surly The Clown surly_the_clown at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 00:55:45 EDT 2010

> Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 13:17:07 +1000
> Subject: Re: [mod_python] mod_python import failure on FreeBSD AMD64
> From: graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
> To: surly_the_clown at hotmail.com
> CC: mod_python at modpython.org

> >> Don't use mod_python if you don't have to.
> >>
> >> What are you wanting to host using it?
> >

> > Big(ish) media files, and I'm wanting to hook into Apache so that I can
> > control access to them with custom logic. As far as I've been able to
> > determine, this is something that wsgi/fastcgi can't really do, unless you
> > use URL rewriting to force the requests to go through a script. Even then,
> > it's suboptimal as the file would then be piped through a script instead of
> > handled directly by Apache. mod_python was pretty much exactly what I need.
>

> Depends exactly on what you want to do. See:
>
>   http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/AccessControlMechanisms
>
> Graham

Interesting. Unfortunately, those access control mechanisms all seem to be based on http access control, which is inadequate for my needs. Specifically, what I need is the ability to enforce one login per user. You can't do this with http access control because it allows or denies access based solely on what the client sends the server, and does not have any way of denying access if, say, that username was logged in somewhere else, or if that is the case, logging out the other user session in favor of the new one. I spent quite some time looking for modules for both apache and nginx before I came to the conclusion that there were none, which I find astonishing. It's of course possible that I've missed something. However, mod_python will allow me to do what I need, and this scheme of access control does work.

Now, I can see why you'd prefer to use wsgi or fastcgi if they are adequate for your needs, but mod_python can do some things that those just can't, and they are useful things, so I'm surprised that it's been abandoned.

At any rate, I now have an additional machine where mod_python works: an i386 FreeBSD instance running in QEMU. And I also discovered that running make extract in mod_python's directory yields the error: "/usr/local/sbin/apxs: not found" and "===>  mod_python-3.3.1_2 : Your apache does not support DSO modules." Bizarre. Searching the inter-net for the latter message makes me think that something is messed up with apache. However, /usr/local/sbin/apxs is on the system, is executable, and runs. Deinstalling apache and then attempting to rebuild it yields:

./buildconf: /usr/local/bin/autoheader-2.62: not found

which is once again actually on the system and working fine. This leads me to believe that something is seriously messed up with that system and that is likely why mod_python isn't working. Thank you for your assistance, though.