[mod_python] bye bye mod_python, hello... what?

Samuel Hazelett alertmaster at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 17 11:20:42 EST 2010

I am little disappointed in the Apache Software Foundation for having taken mod_python under its umbrella only to allow it to wither.
If mod_python is moribund, what will happen to Mod_python at modpython.org?  What's to say the new-fangled API won't suffer a similar fate?

If, as you say Doug, WSGI API bridge is a better idea, then I shouldn't become/remain a Luddite and I "should get with the program".

I had brought mod_python into my workplace because of a, perhaps outdated, recommedation that it should be coupled with Django.
With respect to the workplace, I work in a secured lab that makes it a small nuisance to bring anything new within its perimeter.
For this reason, I do most of my learning/experimenting with non-sensitive test data on my home desktop.

Maybe I should drop the Django idea, too. I haven't invested much time in it, nor bought the book.
I see mention of such related s/w as werkzeug, CherryPy, and pythonpaste.
I'm barely a Python programmer, hand-jamming database connections and HTML reports.
What's a newbie to do?