[mod_python] bye bye mod_python, hello... what?

Samuel Hazelett alertmaster at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 17 11:20:42 EST 2010

I am little disappointed in the Apache Software Foundation for having taken mod_python under its umbrella only to allow it to wither.
If mod_python is moribund, what will happen to Mod_python at modpython.org?  What's to say the new-fangled API won't suffer a similar fate?

If, as you say Doug, WSGI API bridge is a better idea, then I shouldn't become/remain a Luddite and I "should get with the program".

I had brought mod_python into my workplace because of a, perhaps outdated, recommedation that it should be coupled with Django.
With respect to the workplace, I work in a secured lab that makes it a small nuisance to bring anything new within its perimeter.
For this reason, I do most of my learning/experimenting with non-sensitive test data on my home desktop.

Maybe I should drop the Django idea, too. I haven't invested much time in it, nor bought the book.
I see mention of such related s/w as werkzeug, CherryPy, and pythonpaste.
I'm barely a Python programmer, hand-jamming database connections and HTML reports.
What's a newbie to do?

From: Doug Epling <wdepli at mikrotec.com>
To: Samuel Hazelett <alertmaster at yahoo.com>
Cc: Mod_python at modpython.org
Sent: Sun, January 17, 2010 9:28:32 AM
Subject: Re: [mod_python] bye bye mod_python, hello... what?

 Samuel Hazelett wrote: 
>mod_python is deprecated"
>>What does this mean: deprecated
>>Does it mean there will be no future releases of mod_python?  The "end
>of history!"
>>I was just getting started.  Woe is me/us.
Yeah, I am the same way, especially, having worked with php some, with
losing the concept of psp as well as the publisher handler.

But from what I can tell the WSGI API bridge is a much better idea. 
mod_wsgi is designed to be to python what rails is to ruby.

Except python is a standards based technology!;-) 

From: >Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumpleton at gmail.com>
>To: clodoaldo.pinto.neto at gmail.com
>Cc: mod_python at modpython.org
>Sent: Tue, January 12,
>2010 5:27:34 PM
>Subject: Re:
>[mod_python] bye bye mod_python, hello... what?
>>2010/1/13 Clodoaldo Neto <clodoaldo.pinto.neto at gmail.com>:
>>> 2010/1/12 mog <lists at elasticmind.net>:
>>>> So, the time has come. I need to start a new project and also
>migrate my old
>>>> mod_python stuff to something else :(
>>>> After all the sweat, blood and tears I put into learning about
>how Python
>>>> web apps work, learning how to use mod_python, and how to put
>web apps
>>>> together (using mod_python). It's really sad to think that a
>good portion of
>>>> that effort seems lost because, unfortunately, mod_python is
>deprecated :(
>>>> I looked at a few web frameworks but found they either simply
>didn't work,
>>>> exhibited weird random unpredictable behaviour that was
>impossible to work
>>>> with, or seemed to abstract so far away from real HTTP which
>made me feel
>>>> uncomfortable. I finally settled on mod_python because it
>seemed to be a
>>>> nice balance of powerful functionality and usefulness - oh,
>and it worked.
>>>> With mod_python I felt as though I was working closely with
>the HTTP
>>>> requests because I could use the request objects directly and,
>if I wanted
>>>> (and I did), stick stuff in them to use in sessions.
>mod_python seemed
>>>> pretty raw, but not so much so that I had to write my own
>request handlers
>>>> and all the nitty gritty things like that (which, being new to
>>>> development, was and probably still is beyond my ability to do
>well and
>>>> securely). I liked it because it also provided lots of
>in-built utilities
>>>> making it really easy to do session handling, redirection and
>so on.
>>>> I'm trying to avoid using one of the mainstream frameworks
>because I feel
>>>> they overcomplicate things, bloat things up, and abstract too
>much away from
>>>> what is really going on. Many of them annoyingly also end up
>requiring a
>>>> bazillion dependencies to install. Personally I like to use
>small and
>>>> compact programs that are really good at doing the small
>number of things I
>>>> need them to, as opposed to installing some giant application
>(and all its
>>>> dependencies) that can do everything under the sun I'll never
>>>> With all this in mind. I was hoping someone would please be so
>kind as to
>>>> recommend things that I could use instead of mod_python as a
>WSGI layer, but
>>>> that hopefully works in a similar way to mod_python?
>>> You could start trying Werkzeug which calls itself "a simple
>>> collection of various utilities for WSGI applications".
>> http://werkzeug.pocoo.org/
>>> Then WebOb:
>> http://pythonpaste.org/webob/
>>> Regarding small and simple I think the two above are some of the
>>> approaches but don't expect something like the mod_python's
>>> handler.
>>I'd second Werkzeug, but also add 'bobo' which uses Paste but gives
>>some simple to use URL dispatch mechanisms.
>>Neither have inbuilt session support however, so for that you would
>>need to use Beaker.
>>Mod_python mailing list
>Mod_python at modpython.org

>Mod_python mailing list
>Mod_python at modpython.org http://mailman.modpython.org/mailman/listinfo/mod_python 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mm_cfg_has_not_been_edited_to_set_host_domains/pipermail/mod_python/attachments/20100117/fa0f12f7/attachment-0001.html

More information about the Mod_python mailing list