[mod_python] bye bye mod_python, hello... what?

Clodoaldo Neto clodoaldo.pinto.neto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 08:56:58 EST 2010

2010/1/12 mog <lists at elasticmind.net>:
> So, the time has come. I need to start a new project and also migrate my old
> mod_python stuff to something else :(
>
> After all the sweat, blood and tears I put into learning about how Python
> web apps work, learning how to use mod_python, and how to put web apps
> together (using mod_python). It's really sad to think that a good portion of
> that effort seems lost because, unfortunately, mod_python is deprecated :(
>
> I looked at a few web frameworks but found they either simply didn't work,
> exhibited weird random unpredictable behaviour that was impossible to work
> with, or seemed to abstract so far away from real HTTP which made me feel
> uncomfortable. I finally settled on mod_python because it seemed to be a
> nice balance of powerful functionality and usefulness - oh, and it worked.
>
> With mod_python I felt as though I was working closely with the HTTP
> requests because I could use the request objects directly and, if I wanted
> (and I did), stick stuff in them to use in sessions. mod_python seemed
> pretty raw, but not so much so that I had to write my own request handlers
> and all the nitty gritty things like that (which, being new to web
> development, was and probably still is beyond my ability to do well and
> securely). I liked it because it also provided lots of in-built utilities
> making it really easy to do session handling, redirection and so on.
>
> I'm trying to avoid using one of the mainstream frameworks because I feel
> they overcomplicate things, bloat things up, and abstract too much away from
> what is really going on. Many of them annoyingly also end up requiring a
> bazillion dependencies to install. Personally I like to use small and
> compact programs that are really good at doing the small number of things I
> need them to, as opposed to installing some giant application (and all its
> dependencies) that can do everything under the sun I'll never use.
>
> With all this in mind. I was hoping someone would please be so kind as to
> recommend things that I could use instead of mod_python as a WSGI layer, but
> that hopefully works in a similar way to mod_python?

You could start trying Werkzeug which calls itself "a simple
collection of various utilities for WSGI applications".

http://werkzeug.pocoo.org/

Then WebOb:

http://pythonpaste.org/webob/

Regarding small and simple I think the two above are some of the best
approaches but don't expect something like the mod_python's publisher
handler.

Regards, Clodoaldo