[mod_python] PythonOption not defined, as reported by pyWebSocket module

Devraj Mukherjee devraj at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:48:10 EST 2010

Hello all,

We are developing an application that uses Google's pyWebSocket
project. I am trying to get this running through mod_python following
the documentation published by the project. The handler expects a path
for the websocket code that we have written as a PythonOption, which
our configuration provides.

But we get the following exception when we access the document root

Exception: ('PythonOption mod_pywebsocket.handler_root is not defined', 3)

I am sure I am doing something really silly that's stopping this from
working, I was hoping if anyone can spot what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

httpd configuration

<IfModule python_module>

               PythonPath "sys.path+['/home/devraj/carde/sockethandler']"
               PythonOption mod_pywebsocket.handler_root
"/home/devraj/carde/sockethandler/cardeproxy_wsh.py"
               PythonHeaderParserHandler mod_pywebsocket.headerparserhandler

               PythonOption CardeHostName localhost

</IfModule>

mod_python error log

MOD_PYTHON ERROR

ProcessId:      4208
Interpreter:    'ubuntu.etk.private'

ServerName:     'ubuntu.etk.private'
DocumentRoot:   '/home/devraj/carde/webroot'

URI:            '/'
Location:       None
Directory:      None
Filename:       '/home/devraj/carde/webroot/'
PathInfo:       ''

Phase:          'PythonHeaderParserHandler'
Handler:        'mod_pywebsocket.headerparserhandler'

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/mod_python/importer.py", line
1537, in HandlerDispatch
    default=default_handler, arg=req, silent=hlist.silent)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/mod_python/importer.py", line
1202, in _process_target
    module = import_module(module_name, path=path)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/mod_python/importer.py", line
304, in import_module
    return __import__(module_name, {}, {}, ['*'])

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/mod_pywebsocket/headerparserhandler.py",
line 69, in <module>
    _dispatcher = _create_dispatcher()

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/mod_pywebsocket/headerparserhandler.py",
line 59, in _create_dispatcher
    apache.APLOG_ERR)

Exception: ('PythonOption mod_pywebsocket.handler_root is not defined', 3)

--
Follow me on Twitter, http://twitter.com/mdevraj

"The secret impresses no-one, the trick you use it for is everything"
- Alfred Borden (The Prestiege)