[mod_python] migrating from mod_python to mod_wsgi - URL changes

Jeff Dyke jeff.dyke at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 09:08:40 EDT 2009

I've been using mod_python for a while, I don't have a ton of code running
on it, but am about to write a lot more and would like to switch to
mod_wsgi.

Rewriting the underlying callables to be WSGI compliant should be fairly
simple, but i have also been using vampire to give me URLs like
https://example.com/widget/5 (grabs data for widget with id 5).

I'm wondering what the best way is to support these existing URL's but use
mod_wsgi for everything.  There are only about 10 base pages now, One
thought was to use mod_rewrite to turn that into
https://example.com/object.py?id=5

Is that they best way to handle this sort of migration?  Can i keep this
sort of URL structure with mod_wsgi? Once this is live i don't want to leave
mod_python active in apache.

Thanks,
Jeff