[mod_python] [SPAM] mod_python/mod_wsgi and the apache processing pipeline

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 07:06:30 EDT 2009

2009/7/23 Andrew Smith <andy at robotlovesyou.com>:
> Hello
>
> I have a couple of questions about the capabilities of mod_python vs
> mod_wsgi.
>
> My current (mis?)understanding is that mod_wsgi does not allow me to provide
> handlers for apache stages such as PostReadRequest or Authz in the same way
> that mod_python does,

Correct.

> though I understand that I can create a mod_wsgi Authentication provider.

As well as custom group authorization mechanism.

> So my questions are 1)Is my understanding of the situation correct

Close enough.

> and 2) Are there any future plans for mod_wsgi to allow developers to plug
> into the apache processing pipeline in the same way that mod_python does
> now?

Undecided.

Is interesting challenge, but a huge amount of effort for something
that would be used by a handful of people.

>From what I have seen people use various handler phases for, they
would in many cases be able to achieve the same thing using
mod_headers, mod_rewrite or other custom Apache modules, much more
easily and much more efficiently. Although Python makes writing
content handler nicer, the overhead of Python makes it a very poor
choice for other handler phases and input/output filters.

My question therefore is, what are you trying to do and why do you
think that Python would be a good way of doing it? In what ways don't
other Apache modules already do what you want, or allow you a means of
doing it?