[mod_python] problem with input filter and POST data (fileupload)

Joerg jerch at rockborn.de
Sun Feb 15 23:20:18 EST 2009

> Frankly I would not be surprised if how mod_python implements the
> filters is broken.
>
> My question at this point is, what are you trying to implement that
> uses filters anyway. Writing filters in mod_python isn't actually a
> wise thing as far as I am concerned as it is not going to be
> particularly efficient. Much more sensible to write a proper Apache C
> module to implement the filter.
>
> The only serious use of mod_python filters I have seen is Tramline
> (upload/download accelerator). They actually complain the mod_python
> filters don't work properly as well and say a fix has to be made to
> mod_python Python code. The fix itself they propose doesn't make any
> sense, unless it is acting as a workaround for borked C code
> underneath. The issue for that is at:
>
>   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-76
>
> Anyway, if you are still having problems, not sure there is much more
> I can do to help. I continue to only answer questions here, but I
> don't actually use mod_python myself anymore nor even start it up to
> try things out when people have issues and just rely on my memory of
> what happens.
>
> If you can track the problem down to a specific area of code with
> small reproducable recipe to trigger, then log a bug report in the
> issue tracker. It can go with all the other bugs that haven't been
> fixed. :-)
>
> Graham

ok ok, i wrote a filter over 3 years ago for measuring the byte transfer (and
some output filters too). with my recent system upgrade the input filter
stopped working. thats all behind it. since the change to req.readline() in
the util.py does the trick, im happy for now. i can hardly read the c code of
mod_python, so tracking this further down while no one maintains the code
base seems to be a waste of time.
nevertheless thank you for your quick replies, you are the lonely hero in the
sinking mod_python world.
i guess i have to go with the zeitgeist and should switch over to the wsgi
thingy. i dont like it atm, maybe im addicted to the mod_python way ;)

regards, joerg