[mod_python] When will next version of mod_python be released?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Mon Feb 9 21:26:55 EST 2009

Graham Dumpleton wrote, at 02/09/2009 08:17 PM:

> The only changes made in subversion repository since then have been:
>
>       [http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-220
>       Fix 'import' from same directory as PSP file.
>
>       http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-245
>       Fix prototype of optional exported function mp_release_interpreter().
>
>       http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-249
>       Fixed incorrect use of APR bucket brigades shown up by APR 1.3.2.
>
>       http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-250
>       Fixed MacOS X (10.5) Leopard 64 bit architecture problems.
>
> Except for the first, which got tired of having to answer questions as
> to why it didn't work, they all related to build problems.
>
> In general people have been happy with the stability and no one
> specifically has been seeking new features.

I've been using mod_python-trunk for a while, and it seems pretty solid.
It would be nice to see this released as 3.3.2, unless you're aware of
any serious new bugs or stability issues compared to 3.3.1.

> Interestingly, recently the ASF created http://attic.apache.org/. Thus
> they are defining rules which which ASF projects would be declared
> moribund. From memory mod_python is already in danger of meeting the
> requirements which would see if marked end of life.

As long as it's compatible with current httpd releases, I don't see any
compelling reason to retire it. It seems mod_python development has
always occurred in fits and starts.

> For existing Python web applications which are bound to mod_python
> specific higher level handlers such as mod_python.publisher or
> mod_python.psp, the things do look a bit gloomy.

Probably true more for PSP than Publisher (depending on how much you
depend on some of its more esoteric features). I use Publisher quite a
lot, but in a way that conversion to WSGI is relatively easy.

> The Python web community is very much going towards WSGI as interface
> to web server. This allows for portability to different hosting
> solutions. Thus, look at being compatible with that.

No doubt.