[mod_python] Re: Mod_Python, Mod_Proxy, and Set-Cookie

Tom Wells drshade at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 20:59:29 EDT 2008

Hi Mod_Pythonians,

So I managed to solve it - and it's clearly a bug in Apache 2.2.9 mod_proxy
as far as I can tell. I will be posting the bug to the Apache bug list, but
thought I would give you a quick explanation as I've found many a golden
nugget during my travels on this mailing list.

Basically if you're trying to set a cookie within a handler (mod_python or
otherwise I assume) and the response from the proxied resource starts with
the "HTTP/1.1 100 Continue" status line (because the request was a POST and
had an "Expect: 100-Continue") then you can forget about mod_proxy merging
the Set-Cookie in your out_headers from your handler with the response from
the proxied resource. I've been through most of the mod_proxy code this
evening and I can understand why, there are some hairy things in there
(around backwards compatibility and the ever changing HTTP goal posts of
long ago I suppose). Regular POSTs work great, which explains the mixed
results we were seeing between our various back-end web servers.

Of course everything works just perfectly in Apache 2.2.4 which happened to
be our development Apache version, and so we didn't stumble upon the issue
until during deployment on the production machines (which the ops team keep
patched to the latest Apache version).

Best Regards,
Tom

--