[mod_python] patch to use Py_SetProgramName()

Glen W. Mabey Glen.Mabey at swri.org
Wed Mar 26 16:24:55 EDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 03:15:51PM -0500, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> >  with the Py_SetProgramName() function.  Since configure is already
> >  getting this value explicitly (when --with-python is used), it seems to
> >  me that it would be desirable to employ this facility instead of letting
> >  Py_Initialize() search around for what it decides is the most
> >  appropriate executable.
> >
> >  Is that reasonable?
>
> Except that it doesn't work for Windows or MacOS X.
>
> Anyway, see:
>
>   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-225
>
> It also talks about workaround of setting PYTHONEXECUTABLE or
> PYTHONHOME environment variables in 'envvars' file or Apache startup
> script.

Humm.  Seems to be a fairly well explored problem already.

Now, I'm often wrong on this sort of thing, and I certainly don't have
any experience deploying apache on Windows or MacOSX, but I wonder
whether the use of Py_SetProgramName() is detrimental on those
platforms?

That is, if it fixes the problem on certain platforms (or, if it is one
way to fix it), then is it worth including?

Thanks again --

Glen