[mod_python] [Pywebsvcs-talk] Spontaneous 404

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Wed Mar 12 13:05:01 EDT 2008

Joseph Bernhardt wrote, at 03/12/2008 12:32 PM:

> All sent requests are exactly alike; including url, cookies, etc.  The
> access log reports either a 200 or 404 error, consistent upon what was sent
> to the client.  Again, there is no rhyme or rhythm to it.  The 404's just
> seem to be more prevalent when system processes exceed 90% of resources.
> Curiously, the error log does not reflect these 404's (no 'File does not
> exist:' or 'mod_python.publisher:' errors).

That's consistent when a handler is defined. There will be no such error
logged if SetHandler or AddHandler expects to handle that location or
file extension, but the 404 will be recorded in your access log.

> While doing a little research, I had discovered this particular instance
> back in 2003:
>
> http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2003-February/013443.html
>
> which relates to our problem almost perfectly.  Unfortunately, there are no
> provided solutions.

I don't have an immediate one to offer, although I would suggest a first
step in trying the latest version of mod_python, 3.3.1. Unfortunately,
you may have to tweak your code in some places, depending on your usage,
so you could end up troubleshooting more than one problem. Perhaps you
can set up a test environment using virtual servers that duplicates your
production environment closely enough to put some load on it (by
reducing available memory, for example). If the problem is resource
related, can you still add RAM to your production machine?