[mod_python] [Pywebsvcs-talk] Spontaneous 404

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Wed Mar 12 11:39:58 EDT 2008

Joseph Bernhardt wrote, at 03/12/2008 10:55 AM:
> We’re running a LAMP server (RHEL) with Python v2.5 and mod_python
> v3.1.3 to control some smaller, web-based transactions for our company
> (publisher handler; if that makes any difference).  Larger transactions
> are run in combination between client applications contacting either
> Python apps or the MySQL database directly on the server.
> Unfortunately, these large transactions are processing giants that cause
> problems with such an underrated server.   We realize this is the blunt
> of our problem and are working on upgrades which may help in the future.
>
> My question deals with suggestions on what to do in the mean time.   I’m
> not sure if this would be an Apache or mod_python problem, but am
> assuming  the latter.   During processing of a large server application
> (either MySQL or Python oriented), requests made to our mod_python
> enabled websites are spontaneously returned as 404 errors.  Has anyone
> else experienced such odd behavior?  And, if so, how was it dealt with?
> One would assume that a 404 error would indicate either a problem with
> the mod_python application itself, or in that the file does not exist on
> the server.  But, this behavior (working correctly more than half the
> time) suggests something else.

404 errors are either traversal errors or outright incorrect requests.
Look in your logs to see if there is a common pattern with the 404
requests. If possible, access them directly to see if they work. If you
believe that the same URL works randomly, find evidence of success &
failure for the same request in the logs. Don't rule out a problem with
the application itself, especially if it incorrectly constructs relative
URLs based on user input (such as the presence or absence of closing
slashes).