[mod_python] mod_python programming books/tutorials? OT?

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 21:06:07 EDT 2008

Please keep discussion on mod_python mailing list.

2008/6/28 Joe Landau <jrl at versaform.com>:
> Graham,
>
> I'm a new mod_python user, and wondering from your last post if I have not made the wrong
> choice for my (infrequent) use.  I was wanting to use the method/product that was closest to
> a standard, and used by the largest community (thinking I would find the best support there).
>
> I have found mod_python to work well, and your documentation was very helpful, though I did
> need outside help to get started.
>
> Should I be looking at a mod_somethingelse, or perhaps use cgi on the theory that it is still
> the most popular thing (I keep thinking that somewhere there is a book called CGI in Python
> for dummies)?  Or should I be learning one of the frameworks such as Django?

The only thing that is standardised in Python in any real way with
respect to web framework stuff is as mentioned already, the WSGI
interface standard. Using any toolkit or framework which supports WSGI
means that your web application will be portable to different hosting
mechanisms, including:

  CGI

  mod_wsgi (Apache)
  mod_python/??? (Apache)
  fastcgi/flup (Apache)
  scgi/flup (Apache)

  fastcgi/flup (lighttpd)

  mod_wsgi (nginx)
  fastcgi/flup (nginx)

There are also various WSGI capable web servers written in Python as
well, including:

  Paste server
  CherryPy WSGI server

So, if you want something portable, use something based on WSGI.

As already mentioned, for high level frameworks see:

  Django
  TurboGears
  Pylons
  CherryPy

For low level nuts and bolts components for building WSGI see:

  Werkzeug
  Paste

The high level frameworks dictate more how you do things, the low
level toolkits do not and leave a lot more up to you, like with
mod_python.