[mod_python] Regarding SAAS developement

Martijn Moeling martijn at xs4us.nu
Mon Jul 21 09:49:05 EDT 2008

I am working on a platform which is in production for 1,5 years now.
It is growing towards an "Operating system" for SAAS development.
It uses Apache,MySQL, SQLAlchemy, mod_python, python and Windows.js (moving to extjs at the moment)
the work done with it is http://www.lokalos.nl which is a (sorry dutch) community site with an
"WebOS" as a backoffice to give users the ability to add/change content to the site.
Mod_python is extremely stable when used with the above modules and in total it has been running on a webserver which is up for way over two years, without maintenance and reboots..... (I updated several parts but never ever rebooted the machine)
My system is build in a way that many physical systems can host one or more websites fully automatically.
So to answer your question YES, Mod_python is good for using it as the basis for SAAS from a technical point of view.
I might trow the whole system in GPL but it is not as well documented as it should be and I'm halfway the EXTJS integration so it is bit of a mess now.
The whole system consistes of Python modules and a database (no files on disk).
If you are starting some development for SAAS, there are a few do's and do'nts I discovered over the past few years developing with mod_python (in conjunction with MySQL). I can help you out if you wish, just drop me a message. If it is beyond the scope of Mod_python I'll leave the mailing list adress out.
Kind regards,
Martijn Moeling