[mod_python] Performance improvements: dynamic linking?

Roberto C. Sánchez roberto at connexer.com
Wed Jan 9 10:25:03 EST 2008

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 03:01:57PM +0100, Jevgenijs Rogovs wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm experiencing performance issues with Trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/) ,
> which were nailed down to mod_python, so now I'm looking for ways to
> increase its performance.  First of all, it looks like on the system in
> question it is linked statically (judging by the size of mod_python.so being
> 4,991,304 bytes), but I'd like to build it for dynamic linking. The question
> is - how do I do that? No matter what I try, the result seems to be the
> same...
>
> Here's the environment: RH Enterprise Release 3 (kernel 2.4.20-8), Apache
> HTTPD 2.0.54, Python 2.5.1, mod_python 3.3.1.

Judging by the version numbers, I am guessing that you are compiling
your own Python and mod_python.  Have you considered that it might be
that the library is just not stripped?  You can check by running this
command:

file /path/to/mod_python.so

It will tell you if it is statically linked or dynamically linked.
Additionally it will tell you if the debugging symbols have been
stripped.  If they have not, they could also take up a large amount of
space.

Regards,

-Roberto
--