[mod_python] need help solving some performance issues

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 18:47:39 EDT 2008

2008/4/11 Culley Harrelson <harrelson at gmail.com>:

>  I have no experience with dual cpu machines though-- this is part of my
>  concern.  I manage 6 production FreeBSD servers but they are all single cpu
>  systems.  If apache is in prefork mode 2 cpus is just extra processing power
>  right?!?

Even if you were using worker MPM and multithreaded applications,
multiple CPUs or cores will help with Apache, because it would still
be running as a multiprocess application and a lot of stuff happens in
C code also which is capable of being spread across multiple CPUs or
cores.

For Apache on UNIX boxes at least, the Python GIL is not the big
problem that the many people make it out to be. See:

  http://blog.dscpl.com.au/2007/09/parallel-python-discussion-and-modwsgi.html
  http://blog.dscpl.com.au/2007/07/web-hosting-landscape-and-modwsgi.html