[mod_python] Trouble with Apache 2.0.54 and Python 2.5.1

David Moorhouse python at moorhouse.net.nz
Tue Sep 18 06:11:24 EDT 2007

I'm running Apache 2.0.54 on Win XP and have installed Python 2.5.1 (in
C:\python25) and mod_python 3.3.1

I've added the following line to httpd.conf
LoadModule python_module modules/mod_python.so

When I restart Apache from the Apache Monitor I get an error
"The requested operation has failed !"

The error.log shows
"Syntax error on line 178 of E:/Apache Group/Apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load E:/Apache Group/Apache2/modules/mod_python.so into server: The
specified procedure could not be found.  "

mod_python.so is in the /modules sub directory.  python25.dll, msvcr71.dll
and msvcp71.dll are in the windows/system32 directory.

Here's the versions of the files
msvcp71.dll	7.10.3077.0
msvcr71.dll	7.10.6030.0
python25.dll	2.5.1150.1013

The environment variable "path" is
C:\python25;E:\CodeGear\RAD Studio\5.0\bin;C:\Documents and Settings\All
Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\bin;E:\PC-Doctor for Windows\services;C:\Program
Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel

I have installed everything as "administrator".  Prior to installing
mod_python (or if I comment out the LoadModule line) Apache runs fine.

One funny thing I did notice was the ordinal numbers on the import section
of mod_python.so are slightly different to the ordinals in the export
section of python25.dll and msvcr71.dll.  Whether this makes a difference
I'm not sure.

Finally, my registry has the following entries under this key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.5\InstallPath =
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.5\PythonPath =

As you can see I'm a bit stuck.  Can anyone shed any light or point me in
the right direction.