[mod_python] Storing large amounts of data in RAM

Aaron Gallagher habnabit at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 23:48:53 EDT 2007

I'm working on a web-application port of a text game, and I'm just
wondering what the best way for me to implement this is.

Game data is stored in a single python object which is pickleable.
I'm not sure of the exact size of the data in memory, but the pickled
files are between 600 and 900k uncompressed. I would like to store
each object in memory rather than saving and loading the object for
each request. So, what is the best way to do this? I'm pretty sure I
remember from earlier posts that it's not possible to have memory
that's shared between multiple interpreters. Is it possible to only
use one interpreter and keep all of the data objects in that
interpreter?

Also, other than having a cron job send an HTTP request to the server
intermittently, is there a way to have data objects save themselves
to a file if their player hasn't made a request in a certain amount
of time?

Aaron Gallagher
<habnabit at gmail.com>