[mod_python] Segmentation fault (11)

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 08:05:28 EDT 2007

On 04/10/2007, Michael Robokoff <mike.robokoff at apioutsourcing.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the response, I appreciate your help.
>

> Segmentation faults like this can be caused by a number of issues.
>
> 1. Linking in of multiple versions of the same shared library which
> are incompatible.
>
>         How do I find out about this?

The document I referenced mentions a few of the main culprits.

> 2. Linking in of a shared library that conflicts with embedded expat
> or SSL support code in Apache.
>
>         I did verify the expat libraries are the same. I don't have any
>         problems with ssl. It is only when mod_python is loaded that the
>         problem occurs.
>
> 3. Third party Python extension modules that aren't designed to work
> in sub interpreters, for example, subversion bindings.
>
>         I didn't install any of these.

There are others besides subversion. What Python web application are
you trying to run which is causing it to crash? Does a simple hello
world example program work.

> 4. Broken Python installations on Debian systems whereby they screwed
> up md5 module causing conflicts with md5 code in PHP.
>
>         I am running on Solaris 10, and built Python my self with out
>         any issues.
>
> You might have a look through:
>
>   http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ApplicationIssues
>
> Although this is for mod_wsgi, a lot of those issues apply to mod_wsgi as
> well.
>
>         Thanks again, I will check it out.

If nothing shows up as being obvious, you will need to determine where
the crash is occurring. For details on debugging crashes in Apache
using gdb see:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/DebuggingTechniques

BTW, please use reply-all and keep follow ups on mailing list.

Graham