[mod_python] OS X Leopard mod_python issues (cont.)

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 19:24:02 EST 2007

On 23/11/2007, Paul Eyking <eyking at cs.dal.ca> wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> First off, thank you for the quick replies. To answer your question
> about the Python installation, it may have been MacPorts that
> installed the odd version of Python you noticed.
>
> I attempted to install mysqldb (python-mysql) via MacPorts and noticed
> that it attempted to install Python25. However, I ran the following
> command on both my MacBook, and that of a friend, and we both had
> identical results.
>
> Last login: Thu Nov 22 20:08:53 on ttys000
> eyk at Pauls-Computer~$ cd /usr/bin/
> eyk at Pauls-Computer/usr/bin$ ls -l | grep python
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root   wheel           72 22 Nov 18:53 python -> ../../
> System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/python
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root   wheel           79 29 Oct 22:35 python-config -
>  > ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/
> python-config
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root   wheel           75 29 Oct 22:35 python2.5 -
>  > ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/
> python2.5
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root   wheel           82 29 Oct 22:35 python2.5-config
> -> ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/
> python2.5-config
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root   wheel           73 29 Oct 22:35 pythonw -> ../../
> System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/pythonw
> lrwxr-xr-x   1 root   wheel           76 29 Oct 22:35 pythonw2.5 -
>  > ../../System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/bin/
> pythonw2.5
> eyk at Pauls-Computer/usr/bin$
>
> Is this not the 'out-of-the-box' Python installation that comes with
> Leopard?

Your output from otool showed that:

  /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Python

was being found instead of:

  /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework

On a brand new install of Leopard I looked at, there is no Python
framework under /Library/Frameworks, only under
/System/Library/Frameworks.

Thus the /Library/Frameworks version must be an impostor possibly put
there by MacPorts, with it being incompatible and causing problems.

You will either have to get rid of the MacPorts version of Python and
build python-mysql yourself, or make mod_python use MacPorts Python
instead. To do the latter, see comments in:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/InstallationOnMacOSX

about build mod_wsgi with MacPorts and adapt for mod_python.

Graham