[mod_python] Session subdomains

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 16:23:14 EST 2007

On 23/11/2007, Ruben da Silva Iglesias <ruben at ozonomultimedia.com> wrote:
> I'm using Debian etch (Mod_python Version: 3.2.10-4)
>
> I want to use the same session for xx.mydomain.com and yy.mydomain.com
>
> In documentation (4.8.1) shows:
>
> "In order to have a session which spans across common sub domains, you
> can specify the parent domain using the
> mod_python.session.application_domain  option ("PythonOption
> mod_python.session.application_domain mod_python.org" in server
> configuration)."
>
> I put: "PythonOption mod_python.session.application_domain mydomain.com"
> in virtual server apache file.
>
> Ok, just done that, but... it did'nt work
> Then i read the variable with req.get_options() and it's set!
>
> I login in a subdomain, xx.domain.com and all works ok, i have a
> session, but when i change to the other subdomain i'm not logged in, the
> server sends my another session.
>
> (in firefox-web developer-Cookies i see the two different session
> cookies established, one for each subdomain: HOST xx.mydomain.com and
> HOST yy.mydomain.com)
>
> Can't version 3.2.10 do that?
> I'm doing something wrong?

It is always a good idea to read the documentation for the version of
mod_python you are using.

http://www.modpython.org/live/mod_python-3.2.10/doc-html/

Do that and you will find that no such feature exists for the older
version you are using. In other words, you will need to upgrade to the
newest version of mod_python if you want this feature.