[mod_python] Installing mod_python on Vista

Roger Haase haaserd at gmail.com
Mon May 28 17:24:02 EDT 2007

I am trying to install mod-python 3.3.1 on top of Apache 2.2.4 and Python
2.5 on Windows Vista.  I downloaded
mod-python-3.3.1.win32-py2.5-Apache2.2.exe.  I have Vista UAC turned off.

If I try to install using the administrator command prompt window, I get a
message saying MSVCR71.dll was not found.

If I try d-clicking the filename with Windows Explorer, I get several
messages saying Python25 was found in the registry, etc.
and modules are added to
Python25\Lib\site-packages\mod-python.  Then I get get a message
saying "Could not load Python" in a messagebox labeled "Postinstall
script finished". I was expecting to see a
mod_python.so module moved into Apache2.2\modules, but it was not.  In
addition to the missing mod_python.so, the Python modules in
site-packages\mod_python did not get compiled.

If I run a "path"
within a command prompt window, Python25 shows as the first in the
list. Executing a "python -V" runs OK.

Possible contributing factors is that this Vista is the 64-bit version.  The
32-bit Apache is running fine and I have accessed the manual docs.

Anyone have an idea of how to install mod_python under Vista?

Roger