[mod_python] dot dot in the url

Jim Gallacher jpg at jgassociates.ca
Sat May 12 10:06:40 EDT 2007

Roger Binns wrote:

> Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>> You appear to be
>> wanting to side step the RFC and ignore what the standard says and
>> have it interpreted your way which just seems wrong.
>
> The standard significantly predates things like REST and comes from the
> days when web servers pretty much served up a content from a filesystem
> with a cgi directory stuck on the side for dynamic things.

I'm sorry, but that statement is just plain wrong.

REST is built *on* the RFC standards and in no way violates them. RFC
3986 is dated January 2005, whereas the thesis first detailing REST was
written in 2000. Interestingly, Roy Fielding wrote both of them (or was
one of the contributors to the RFC at least). Roy also co-authoured RFC
2396 dated August 1998, so his REST thesis is sandwiched between the 2 RFCs.

Roy is also the VP of the Apache httpd server project. I suspect that
whatever Apache httpd does will be correct.

Your URL usage does bend the rules, so don't be surprised if it ends up
being difficult or impossible to make it work the way you want.

Jim