[mod_python] Setting HTTP response status line

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Sun May 6 18:51:30 EDT 2007

Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> About nine months ago. :-)

Feisty went into freeze on February 8th or December 21st for stuff
originating in Debian.  3.3.1 was out for minus one week (or more).
3.2.10 had been out for 6 months by that point.

The schedules unfortunately didn't match each other.  The 3.2.10 package
does include some bug fixes (technically it is on the 3rd spin).

The moral of the story for providers of packages is that nothing is more
important than the Ubuntu schedule :-)

> There haven't been any complaints about mod_python 3.3.1

The Ubuntu developers could hardly have been able to predict that a week
or more before it was released!

> Consider setting a special response header just when doing testing.

I will actually be emitting something all the time.  eg if a request
must include a "foo" then I'll be stating that in the stuff that goes
back.  It is also helpful to distinguish "Internal Server Error" when
something in Apache has messed up vs when my code messed up :-)

Yup, I have to revisit how to deal with returning error information in
machine and human readable forms.  Short of the status line, I guess
headers are going to be the best for machine readable.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could pickle an exception and traceback, base64
encode it and return in a header?  Kidding :-)

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)