[mod_python] mod_python on / and authentication on /login (using trac)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Mar 21 18:07:32 EST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 08:38:21AM +1100, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> On 22/03/07, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm fighting against a strange issue with a setup that involves having
> >mod_python on Location "/" and authenticating only on certain URLs
> >like /login. This is for example the typical setup for a trac
> >dedicated site, see
> >
> >http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/3821
> >
> >for the background. It doesn't happen if mod_python/trac is hooked on
> >"/trac" and the authentication on "/trac/login".
> >
> >The combinations that are known to exhibit or not this error are
> >
> >httpd modpython trac     works
> >2.2.3 3.6.20    0.10     no
> >2.2.2 3.3.1     0.10.3   no
> >2.2.3 3.2.8     0.10.3.1 yes
> >2.2.2 3.2.10    0.10.3   no
> >
> >Any ideas what's going wrong or how I could debug this further?
>
> I'm not surprised it doesn't work with mod_python 3.6.20 as no such
> version exists.
>
> Have you tried setting your DocumentRoot to somewhere outside of your
> Trac instance. I'd suggest doing that what would be a bad idea to
> start with as the presence of directories/files in there can sometimes
> interfere with Apache's matching algorithms for locations. Set it
> instead to some empty directory elsewhere if you aren't going to serve
> any static files out of document root.

Yes, that's how the setup already was. It was pointing to a folder
with only favicon.ico inside.

> Also, have you tried changing the order of the two Location
> directives, ie., those for '/' and '/login' so the later is actually
> first. It shouldn't in practice matter, but some Apache configuration
> entries are order dependent.

Yes, I tried that, I even replicated the /login section before and
after the / section. The only way I can get it to work is to move the
trac instance further into the URL space, e.g. /trac and /trac/login
instead of / and /login.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net