[mod_python] mod_python and .pyo files

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 16:05:04 EST 2007

On 09/03/07, Tobin Cataldo <tcataldo at bham.lib.al.us> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I would like to ship only .pyo files to a website and use those with
> mod_python. I have seen this question in the archives but haven't seen a
> clear answer.
>
> I believe the Python Interpreter will choose a .pyc or .pyo file if
> available, but I want to only have the .pyo files in my target directory.
>
> Apache conf:
> DirectoryIndex index.pyo index.py ...
> AddHander mod_python .pyo
> SetHandler mod_python
>
> This Apache configuration still requires .py in the target directory or
> the page can't be found.
>
> I am applying mod_python against a directory which Graham says will
> translate to a request against index.py
> (http://www.dscpl.com.au/wiki/ModPython/Articles/SetHandlerVersusAddHandler).
>
> How do I overwrite this behavior? I suppose I could do it via Location
> directives, but how to do this with DirectoryIndex and the Directory
> directives?

For code files which are managed by the mod_python module importer you
cannot do that as it doesn't use .pyc or .pyo files nor generate them.

This has been the case for mod_python.publisher since mod_python 3.2.7
and for all module imports managed by mod_python since 3.3.1.

Note that where a module import cannot be done by mod_python and it
defers to the standard Python module importer, the standard Python
module importer will still make use of .pyc/.pyo files if they exist,
although, for .pyo files you would need to have specified the
directive:

 PythonOptimize On