[mod_python] how to run multiple subinterpreters from mod_python

Suresh Lakshmanan suresh.lakshmanan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 23:09:14 EST 2007

Hi Graham,
I'm not very familiar with the apache MPM model. Thanks for your references,
im able to get an idea of how the subinterpreters work in mod_python.

My python application is a django based application. It uses a few python
modules like
PIL (python imaging library), dnspython, django, libxx (our c++ extension
written in python)

Multiple requests to my django application (running inside apache with
mod_python) are serialized and they execute one by one.
Lot of them get 503 responses.

Here's my apache conf.
# worker MPM
# StartServers: initial number of server processes to start
# MaxClients: maximum number of simultaneous client connections
# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers         1
MaxClients          64
MinSpareThreads     64
MaxSpareThreads     64
ThreadsPerChild     64
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
ServerLimit          1
</IfModule>

<Location "/reg/">
    SetEnv PYTHONHOME "/usr/local/bin/python2.4"
    SetHandler python-program
    PythonPath "['/usr/local/pi/applications/',
'/usr/local/pi/nodes/data/regist
ration', '/usr/local/pi/pimgr/lib', '/usr/local/pi/pimgr/lib/ca' ,
'/usr/local/p
i/pimgr/lib/MySQLdb'] + sys.path"
    PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython
    SetEnv PINET_HOME
"/usr/local/pi/nodes/data/registration/pimgr/reg/ca/config
"
    SetEnv PIMGR_PATH "/usr/local/pi/nodes/data/registration/pimgr"
    SetEnv DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE pimgr.settings
    PythonDebug On
</Location>