[mod_python] mod_python and sqlite

Richard Lewis richardlewis at fastmail.co.uk
Wed Jan 10 12:28:14 EST 2007

Hi there,

I'm just trying to use SQLite with mod_python and I'm having a few problems.

I have a script which responds to the URL "/session" and does this:

from mod_python import apache
import sqlite, datetime
def handler(req):
    # make query_dict from req.parsed_uri[apache.URI_QUERY]
    # <snipped>

    # load the sessions database
    con = sqlite.connect("/abs/path/to/sessions.db")
    cur = con.cursor()

    # select the record for the session
    cur.execute("SELECT * FROM sessions WHERE id=%s" %
query_dict["session-no"])

    session = cur.fetchone()

    if int(session[1]) == 0:
        # this means that the session is not in use

        # update the sessions database to set the session as 'in use'
        cur.execute("UPDATE sessions SET in_use=1, name=\"%s\", started=\"%s\"
WHERE id=%d" % \
                    (query_dict["name"], str(datetime.datetime.now()),
int(query_dict["session-no"])))
        con.commit()

        # goes on to generate some HTML, etc.

The problem I have is that when I try to execute the SQL UPDATE query, the
database raises the exception "Database error: unable to open database file".

I've checked to make sure that I can execute the code correctly from the
Python interpreter, and I can.

So I also made sure that Apache has write permission to the database file by
setting the permissions to rwxrwxrwx!

Any ideas what may be wrong with this?

Cheers,
Richard