[mod_python] Returned filename question (updated)

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sat Jan 6 19:31:51 EST 2007

On 07/01/2007, at 12:32 AM, Martijn Moeling wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just checking my apache access_log to see if and how the
> spidering
> by Google was going and I found some strange behavior I cannot
> explain:
>
> cat /var/log/httpd/access_log |grep Googlebot
>
> all the lines I see are like:
>
> 66.249.65.15 - - [01/Jan/2007:15:43:54 +0100] "GET /
> zsswsirofodgrdu.html
> HTTP/1.1" 404 298 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1;
> +http://www.google.com/bot.html)"
>
> Please note the: GET /zsswsirofodgrdu.html
>
> I am seeing this since I upgraded to MP 3.3.0b, I have searched the
> DOCs
> but for some reason I cannot find out where Google gets the filename
> from....
>
> It seems like MP is returning a random filename now.

Not likely to be anything to do with mod_python.

First off, it is Apache which logs to the access_log file and not
mod_python.
Apache will use whatever is set in req.filename at the end of the
request.
The value of req.filename isn't changed by mod_python although a user
level mod_python handler could change it.

That the HTTP status code is 404 though suggests that it isn't even
getting
to a response handler and so mod_python isn't likely being invoked.
It simply
looks like that is what Google is actually asking for.

Graham