[mod_python] Handler return value is rendered in output

David Cooper david.cooper at compucat.com
Tue Feb 13 21:53:42 EST 2007

Hi Guys,

Firstly thanks for reading - I'm a complete newb to mod_python, having
installed it only yesterday.

I have had some success with the provided examples, however I've got
some troubles with the return value of my handlers being rendered in the
output. The following code renders a 0 on the page, which is not what I
expected?

--- form.html ---

  <form action="comment.py/comment" method="POST" >

      Comment: <textarea name="comment" rows=4 cols=20></textarea><input
type="submit"><br>

  </form>

--- comment.py ---

from mod_python import apache

def comment(req, comment):

      return apache.OK

Also, if I return apache.HTTP_NOT_FOUND then I just get a page with 404
rendered at the top.

Question: Why is my return value being interpreted as text to be
rendered, rather than the signal to the mod_python framework whether
everything's ok or not?

Thanks for any assistance!

Cheers, Dave.